Thursday, May 29, 2008

What is recoveredbulimic about?

As a bulimic 16-year-old, I had the glorious idea that I would recover, become a psychotherapist to help other bulimics, and write a book about my story. In the meantime, nearly 30 years have passed. Five years ago I got my Master’s Degree in Psychology, but I realized that I would rather write and perform music than become a therapist. I did write the book: Diary of a Recovered Bulimic. It came out this past summer. I suppose it is a bit late, as there are plenty of diaries on the subject, but I really had no choice. I was not able to write it sooner, yet if I never wrote it, that would have nagged me for the rest of my life.

The book is the story of my struggle, which began in puberty and ended when I was 26. At least, the symptom ended. The emotional recovery has been going on ever since. As I am a spiritually oriented person, I believe the recovery goes hand in hand with personal growth. Maybe it’s the same thing. Recovery doesn’t mean I have figured everything out and don’t have any more problems. It just means I can depend on my strong healthy body to help me cope with whatever my life has in store. I’ve learned to roll with the punches and to experience pure joy.

Now that the book is finished, I’ve had several new insights. It reminds me of taking exams at the university. I was nervous and did the best I could. Once the exam was over, I relaxed and then everything seemed to make more sense. Just as I often got good grades, I am also pleased with how the book turned out, but there is more that I want to say. Thus I can say it here. I hope to get feedback and communicate with other people who may be recovered or in the process. It is always helpful to compare notes with others in similar situations, as many issues do tend to be related. I hope my work will be helpful to other people.

My self-definition is not restricted to “recovered bulimic” but also includes mother, poet and musician. Thus, some of my other work will appear here as well. In the meantime, I have a more down-to-earth project in the works: I want to find a job!

No comments: